Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Final Review Week...

By Lauren Hale

We are currently in the middle of the worst week in the semester.  Everything we have been working on this entire semester is due in two days.  Finished models, finished site models, finished boards with a ton of graphics that aren’t finished yet, and a finished PowerPoint presentation all due this Friday.  We are all feeling the stress and staying up until the sun rises every night.  Sleeping through classes the next morning, in short we are all a mess.  Some people seem to handle this week better than others.  There are always those students that have everything done and then never stop complaining to everyone else about how much they still have to do.  All it does is add to the stress of everyone else who has to listen to them. Every time you ask them what they have left to do, they say one little thing and you give them that look like, are you kidding me? Then they always try to add other things to make you feel better.  Then they ask you what you have left to do and you just sigh. 
                I have been doing this for five years now and every semester without fail, there is always panic.  There is always a freak out point where you are sure you are going to fail and be laughed right out of your review.  By some miracle, I’m still here and for some reason, I’m still doing this to myself.  This is always the time of year when I question what I’m doing with my life and if it is all worth it.  I still really don’t know to tell you the truth.  I don’t know where I will be this time next year or if I will even want to keep working in architecture.  Who knows? Maybe I will actually love it, here’s hoping. 

                At the moment, I’m working on a rendered section perspective of a 33-storey building that I have been designing all semester.  First I built the digital model in Google Sketchup, then I brought it into 3DS max to render it.  Basically I just shoot for the natural shadows formed by the daylighting system you set up in 3DS then let Photoshop do all the work, well I do all the work.  I just feel like I have more direct control of materiality in Photoshop.  Most people just do it in Revit, but I haven’t used Revit in a very long time.  It all depends on how you learned in undergrad and what you are comfortable with.  So basically, I have to finish this rendering, do two more renderings, make all the floor plans presentation ready, update all the diagrams from mid review, draw wall section details and put everything on a board and cross my fingers during plotting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment