Wednesday, March 21, 2012

AZ

By Matthew Owens




As a grad student set to graduate this August it is most likely that this past week will be my last spring break before I head into the professional world, unless of course for some reason or another I end up teaching. As I write this I am getting the feeling this is how my article started out after winter break as well as fall break? I guess you could say I am most certainly aware that I will be done with school this year and I might not get any of these extended breaks again. So spring break yea! The time when college students go to Mexico to party! But a more mature grad student such as myself has grown out of the party phase of my life and would care to do something with more meaning and productivity during a week off of school.

So what does this more mature grad student do over spring break? Well for I spent my week out in Arizona, in the valley of the sun. I spent the majority of my time hiking in the mountains around Phoenix where I was staying. I went on three fairly strenuous hikes that led me to peaks overlooking the valley and all of Phoenix. A good work out, of which my legs are still slightly sore, and of course this was a good chance to get some sun.

And or course as a student of architecture I had to see some of Franks work. I was able to take a tour of Taliesin and also walked around the Biltmore Hotel, both of which are in Scottsdale not far from where I was staying. Taliesin of course Write's escape from the cold winter months of Wisconsin. He set up his camp out in the desert of Arizona, outside of what was then the small town of Scottsdale. This being my first time to central Arizona I certainly know why he chose that area for his winter retreat. The weather while I was there was perfect and the desert is beautiful. The Biltmore is another work of Writes that was not far from Taliesin. After my tour of Taliesin I made the short drive over to check out the hotel. I have to admit I did not know much about the hotel. I knew going there that it was going to be bit classier, being a historic building and all. It was certainly beautiful, and more than just a hotel, but somewhat of a resort. There were small villas, and multiple hotel buildings on a campus of lush green grass and spectacular flowers, and of course pools and fountains. The lobby, restaurant and bar being about the extent of the interior I could walk through not being a guest were still amazing. The outdoor spaces were also fantastic, and a joy to be in. So, a mature grad student such as myself had an educational break.

But am I really above partying on spring break, just because I didn’t go party with the rest of the college students? Well….. I actually did end up taking a day trip down to Nogales, Mexico to drink margaritas and tequila and eat tacos. I also had to check out the night scene at ASU, which happens to be a pretty good time.

So, good break! Time to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment