Monday, February 18, 2013

Visualizing Architecture

Visualizing Architecture 
By: Sam Harshman 

This semester, I had to take an elective. About a year ago, my wife and I, invested in a digital single-lens reflex camera (dslr for short.) We've used it a few times for special occasions but we have never really learned how to use it. So this semester, I enrolled in a class called Visualizing Architecture. Our first project this semester is called "Barn." We are supposed to take photographs of an old barn in a series. The first in the series would be the whole barn in its entirety and its context. Context, meaning surrounding landscape, sky, trees, etc. The following pictures in the series would be based off of this one picture. The next picture would be maybe just the barn itself with no context, or maybe just one side of the barn. Following that would be just a door of the barn. The last picture would be focused on one nail, or a detail that small. The idea of the project, is so that a viewer will get a better feeling of the building itself.

Personally, I think I am going to do the project in reverse order. I feel that showing a smaller detail first, gets the viewer more interested in what they are looking at. and then they can "zoom out" and then get the whole picture. This way they feel more like they are a part of the photographs.

The following pictures are my start on "Barn."





No comments:

Post a Comment