Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Path to Graduate Study in Architecture

My path to architecture school has not been a traditional one as this is a career change. I already went through college once at the University of Iowa earning a bachelor’s degree in biology and clinical laboratory sciences. After graduation I was hired as a medical technologist in the Quad Cities where I worked for five years in a hospital laboratory. Not completely satisfied, I decided upon a new career path. My mother was an art teacher and my father was a civil engineer. They passed on to me an artistic and a technical side. I thought to myself, “What career would better suit me?” I decided that architecture would be a good fit because it requires many skills that range from artistic to technical.

Next, I searched the internet for schools in Illinois that had master’s degree programs in architecture. Southern Illinois University appeared to be the best fit, so I applied and was accepted. My wife and I moved to Carbondale and purchased a house. I pictured myself buying a drafting table and learning hand drafting─at least in the beginning. I even asked Professor Norm Lach about where to purchase a drafting table before classes began. He clued me in that I probably didn’t need a drafting table because I would be drafting on a computer. I came in having very limited computer skills, but the training here brought me up to speed in programs such as AutoCAD, Revit, Corel Draw, etc.

The curriculum here is challenging, but the instruction is good. I have taken advantage of office hours and tutors for classes such as Structures I and II. Fellow students are also helpful when I have questions. For graduates with a degree in something other than architecture, Southern Illinois University in Carbondale is a good choice if you want to pursue a Master’s in Architecture. Plus, Southern Illinois is a beautiful area with many lakes and parks, and the peaches are great!
-- Ben Temperley, M. Arch. Student

No comments:

Post a Comment