Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Final Presentation



Final Presentation: comprehensive design studio
By:Adulsak Chanyakorn
            Graduate students just finished their final presentation for comprehensive design studio on Friday, December 7, 2012. At the beginning of the semester, we were assigned to design housing or hotels for the legacy site for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. After 4 months of design development, the final presentation pointed out some interesting points. In order to succeed, the project requires hard work to develop a detailed design, which clearly conveys the ideas, but it also needs a presentation manner. This is one significant part of the process to achieve the goal.  Some of my colleagues started to explain their intricate designs by simplifying them to straightforward diagrams and interesting graphics, which drew the attention of the audience very well. On the screen presentation, they carefully selected and showed only significant graphics and drawings that contained the main points because the presentations had a time limit. Hence, their presentations were very concise and ended with effective results.
Another point that I have observed throughout the semester is design development manner. Since I have spent a lot of time in the studio, it seems to me that people who allow themselves to develop their designs through a variety of techniques such as physical model studies, freehand sketches, etc. along with computer aided software, had good results in their design in many aspects. In contrast, people who used only computer aided software from the beginning of their designs tended to end in a different way. I have discovered that it’s better to allow ourselves to explore design through different methods and that it’s essential for creativity.
I also have learned and shared a lot with my colleagues through conversations or working as a group during 

the studio period. There were many times that I improved my design through these discussions with faculty 

and classmates. Peer review is a useful collaborative tool, which also helped me refine my design. I expect 

to  learn and improve my architectural skills more with my colleagues in the 2013 spring and summer 

semesters.

No comments:

Post a Comment