Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Life of a Saluki Architecture Grad Student

By John Svast

Hello again readers!
NEAT FACT OF THE DAY!!
Before I was an exotically handsome architecture graduate student here in the lovely land of Southern Illinois building wonderful models that make women love me and men want to be me, I built other things to pass my time… I built bombs and missiles for the United States Air Force.  It wasn’t as gritty and high tech as it is on television… but I don’t tell my friends that.  While serving my time in the service of servicing explosives, I become privy to a little know Saint by the name of Saint Barbara.  Saint Barbara is the patron Saint of folks of in the explosives careers (field artillery men, ammo and ordinance troops etc…) 
 How did that come about?
Many moons ago, Saint Barbara wanted to become a Christian.  This would have been all fine and dandy if it wasn’t for her big wig King father forbidding it due to him being pagan.  So what did he do?  He had a huge tower built and shoved her in there until he could figure out what to do with her. Time went by and he came to a conclusion on what to do with his new Christian Daughter…. He was going to execute her.  So he took her out of the tower dragged her into the street, whipped out his huge sword above his head and when he was about to bring his sword down to lop off here head… BLAM!... the king gets struck by lightning.  Bickity Bam!.. patron of explosives. 
So where are you going with this?
You remember that tower the king had built to throw his daughter in?  People Associated St Barbara with that tower… then in turn, she also became the patron Saint of Architects and today, December 4th, is St Barbara’s day.
Happy St Barbara’s day to fellow architects and architecture students and happy St. Barbara’s day to the folks in the military that work with explosives.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment