Friday, January 20, 2012

Thesis site visits and more....

By Micah Jacobson



I hope everyone had a good break. My wife and I were able to spend time with family in Columbia Missouri. We were also able to visit Bloomington, IL, Kansas City, MO, Paducah, KY, and Lake of the Ozarks, MO. For my thesis project I have selected a site in Kansas City, MO. This is the first time I have been involved in the site selection process. I selected the site based on the need for my program and the geographical location to the city and other buildings. My wife and I visited Kansas City to do site research and it was a great experience. I was able to access my site and retrieve a lot of valuable information. I am looking forward to this next semester and eager to dive into my thesis project further. It was good to have a little time away from work, but I am always glad to get back.

While in Kansas City we were able to visit the National World War I Museum. It was a great precedent and experience for my wife and I. The Liberty Memorial, large spire in middle, was built in 1921, it was closed in 1994, due to structural deterioration. In 1998 a tax was passed to fund the restoration of it and for the addition of a museum. The new building was built under, and around the foundation of the Liberty Memorial. It is an 80,000 square foot facility. Visitors are allowed to ascend to the top of the 217 foot memorial tower to a 360 degree observation deck. I was able get excellent site photos from this location.

Overall it was a good break and a fun trip to the site. If anyone is in Kansas City they should visit this museum along with many other remarkable structures, such as the union station.

http://www.toddlandryphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/world-war-1-museum.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment