Monday, March 25, 2013

Thesis Update


Thesis Update - (+Break Re-Cap)
By: Jonathan Smith

I recently got back from a trip to Branson, Missouri that I took for a portion of spring break. Upon arriving, my girlfriend and I were sucked right into the touristy traps of shops and chaos. It seemed a bit overwhelming to be honest, but after a day or two I started to see some of the true character of the town. Beneath the chaotic visiting tourists, is a rich small town that has a quite a bit of history of its own. It ended up being a rather fun trip and even relaxing, as contradicting as that may seem, (for anyone who has been to Branson for purposes of vacation). 

While there though, I noticed a great deal of the development they had on the river. It was quite nice to see a city taking advantage of its riverfront for pedestrian, economical, and social gain. This leads me to a source that I recently had forwarded to me, and would like to share. It highlights a variety of the qualities and intricacies of a city being designed around the concept of hydrology and water. It is an interview of "Water Architect" Koen Olthius and is published by AutoDesk. The content is relative to my thesis, but also to architects in general who are interested in designing in extreme conditions and utilizing 3D-Modeling as a major aid to do so.

The interview with Koen goes to elaborate on many of the ideas I'm incorporating into my thesis. It will highlight his explanation on the benefits and disadvantages of "floating buildings" and architecture, which I agree with. This interview has sparked me to want to look into him further. So, as I learn more about the individual and his studio of design, I will update on how it will be incorporated into my thesis.

http://inhabitat.com/inhabitat-interview-water-architect-koen-olthuis-on-floating-buildings-hydro-cities/

No comments:

Post a Comment