Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Study Models


Study Models 
By: Christopher Pacanowski 
Study models are some of the most important things to make when it comes to designing a building. Architects use study models to look at things in three dimensions instead of just the two dimensions that plans look at. When creating a study model it is key to remember that its just a study and is meant to be changed, and change it will. When making a study model, I have found that it isn’t necessary to create it out of any fancy material, just making something that looks/ represents the ideas that you are trying to design help guide the study in a direction that would help the design. Another thing that I have noticed in the past few years, is the difference in the details. If a project is a large urban design project, like my thesis is, then the study model will be more of a massing model showing the main concepts of the building and the connectivity to the other buildings and their surroundings. If the project is and individualized building then the detailing becomes a little more key in the initial study models. Once the basis of the model and design is put in 3D, which is when things can start to change. Recently with my thesis I had been talking with my committee about how my buildings should be three dimensionally and a study model had helped me figure out what needs to be done. When having a study model it is also a great Idea to have extra material and the ability to make quick changes to the standard building, so that each and every possibility can be studied. Finally one of the most important things that many people forget to do, including me, is to always be documenting each and every study, take pictures write down why things worked or don’t work. This documentation will end up helping you take all of the different studies and combined it into one cohesive project.
Well this will be my final blog for the school of architecture and I hope that some of the insights that I have brought to you will help you on your future endeavors and help new architects form.
THANKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment