Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Homestretch

By Randy Thoms

"This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes, again....."
 The End, by The Doors, written by Jim Morrison.

            Well, it may not be that bad but this is my last blog to the wider world of SIUC architecture students. therefore to recite another well known song:

"Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurres to me What a long, strange trip it's been."
Truckin', by Grateful Dead, written by Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Phil Lesh, and lyricist Robert Hunter.

            Does it seem strange that we can find songs that fit any mood or situation?  Probably not.  Yet it has been interesting and dare I say fun to write these blogs every two weeks.  They were able for me at least, to express something other than diagrams, renders, sections, plans...well you know what I mean of the demands by Professors in this program.  I was taking the tack to write about life happenings and interests of mine with an architectural tone, even slightly at times, but that is what a blog means right?
            I was not asked to change my ways and beef up the word count, hopefully all of you thousands out there reading these had a good time following me on the journey through the world of Grad school and everyday happenings thus far.  I have passed on info about my kids, my age, my wife, my travels, research, thesis, history and building things to name a few topics.  I must admit I do not read "all" the other blog postings by my fellow grad GA and TA's, but I read some.  Hopefully the many other posts kept you guys coming back for more and something to do other than, well you know, architecture stuff.

            So as we grads move into the home stretch and finalize all those demands placed upon us over this summer, maybe there will still be time to write and read something other than architecture?  Maybe we all have helped to make the transition to Grad school less foreign and intimidating.  As many have stated, and the big secret so do not tell the Professors, it is all about time management.  Yes you need "skills" but many could do this with the right time management skill to get all the work required completed, it is just that "next step" that breaks one out of the pack.  And it is never to late to go back to school and pursue something you wish you would have done 25 yrs ago.....
photo by Steve Y. 

No comments:

Post a Comment