So here we are in the masters program at SIU finishing up thesis work and class work and the future lies on the horizon. and it is a bit daunting to be perfectly honest. Thesis work, 20 page paper to write, jobs to look for, jobs to continue in the midst of all of this other work. It almost seems too big to handle and too much to do, but I have a bit of advice for everyone which I have discovered myself while also toiling in this soup of stress, and that is to just take it a day at a time, or to take it one step at a time, or insert here on of the other various sayings noting the same or similar message.
That being said I would like to share with all of you what I have been working on for the past few months in my graduate career here at SIU. One of the more interesting projects which I have completed for my ARC 532 Global Architecture History class consisted of choosing a structure of a non-western nature, physically constructing it, and documenting that process. Now with my interest in bringing back more of the mathematical and geometric side that seems to have become diluted in much of architecture today, I chose my structure to be what is called a Jali or jaali, (Hindi:जाल).
The geometric patterning and the mathematics and geometry behind Islamic art and architecture fascinate me. And while the the project was interesting to me in that regards, it was even more interesting to me in the notion that I wanted to use a new method of delivery for the presentation of this project which I had, until recently, been ignorant of. So I felt it was time to learn Adobe Premiere. This is a video editing software that I chose to learn and use for the required documentation of the project. I was excited to use it and was fairly please with my outcome. As I do not regularly post videos online I do not have a way of showing you the final product…yet. I do plan on adding a link later that will take you to the video I had created. For now here are some final construction images…
Additionally I have been working on quite a bit of thesis work which seems to be ever-evolving [as I believe a good thesis should]. Here are some development images of that as well…
While finding out that my initial approach was perhaps not the appropriate one I did learn I should probably take a bottom up approach where I focus on the design of the components first and let that lay the framework for the rest of the design. The plan now consists of incorporating specific lighting calculation that will influence the design as well as address how the overall design meets the ground and the sky. Additionally the materiality will be extremely important to the project components as well as the project as a whole.
That’s all for now, more next time.