Friday, November 12, 2010

Halloween Project – Freshman

By Yuko Aoki

When you decide to study architecture at Southern Illinois University for a Bachelor’s Degree, you might get a seasonal project. Over the recent couple of years, students have had to be creative for Halloween. The pumpkins on the steps, at the south entrance of Quigley Hall, were carved by freshman students in architecture and were exhibited for a few days. They were asked to make architectural Jack O Lanterns!!


Some of them are landmark buildings and some of them are famous architects’ faces. The trend of this year seems to be carving silhouettes of landmark buildings like the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, and the skyscrapers of New York City. Proportions of buildings are critical to show what the buildings are. Each pumpkin has a candle in it, but were not lit when I took these pictures. I am wondering how they will light up in the night.

I did not do this project when I was in my freshman year, but I would like to make one for Halloween next year. It is nice to have a fun, quick, and easy projects between actual studio projects. They also can be very unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment