Friday, January 22, 2016

Entertainment District


By: Andy Cunningham

What’s up everybody! I hope your break was good, and got some much needed rest, I know I did. I did a whole lot of nothing, and it was everything I could have hoped for.
            Looking forward to this semester, I am actually excited about it. Being able to work on my thesis is really exciting, because normally in studios, sites and programs, or building types are predefined, but with the thesis, I get the opportunity to have a decision on everything. I’m really looking forward to the next few months.
As to what my project is, creating an entertainment district outside the United Center, it’s exciting to look around the country and see more types of places pop up around the country, and even around the city of Chicago. The Chicago cubs are currently constructing something similar outside of Wrigley field. These entertainment districts are designed to bring more people to the area and allowing them to experience the game in a similar atmosphere as actually being at the game.
            Although Wrigley field is in a better neighborhood than the United Center, bringing in an entertainment district and giving people more of a reason to go into the area the area will hopefully start to improve. With the sustained success that the Blackhawks have had over the last decade, and the bulls always hanging around, support for both of these teams is incredibly high and giving people the chance to go down and experience the game somewhere other than their house or a random bar, this gives fans a chance to experience the game in another way.

            I know for me, having a place like this would be awesome because it would be cool to go watch a hawks or bulls game there in the excitement of the Arena, and the take the train to city to do whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment