Thursday, January 21, 2016

Let’s Get Some Interior Design


By: Megan Crider
As we approach the end of the semester, every student begins to plot their studio work to be presented.  Naturally, the workflow in the lab increases dramatically.  During my shift yesterday, one of the other lab assistants was helping me manage the influx of students and plots.  One of the sheets being printed was that of a junior interior design student.  My fellow lab assistant was admiring the renderings on the sheet and made a comment about how beneficial it would be for our architecture curriculum to include an interior design class…
I agree.  Granted I am biased because my undergraduate degree was in interior design.

I doubt our condensed graduate curriculum has room for an additional class.  Well frankly it doesn’t.  I do feel though that in one or two of our classes a little bit more attention could be paid to the in-depth design of an interior space or two…. I feel that architecture students miss out on quite a bit by not having this exposure.  Their focus is largely on the exterior of the building – I get it, after all that is the architecture.  But the design of the interior is a whole other story.  Material selections of everything from the wall finishes to the flooring come into play, as well as furniture, fixture, and lighting selections, all the while color schemes and choices are kept in mind.  Interior design a lot of times is a much more complex and intricate entity that requires a lot of diligent thought and attention.  I am not knocking architecture by any means, but those students are really missing a different and fulfilling experience.  Not to mention I find it kind of fun, in a designy, nerdy sort of way.

6 comments:


  1. I have been checking out a few of your stories and i can state pretty good stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog
    Summerhaus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the best blog. it was very useful for me.keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.
    www.renosingapore.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for some other informative blog. Where else could I get that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a mission that I’m just now working on, and I have been at the look out for such information. natural dyeing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the post you do. I like your post and all you share with us is up to date and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. handmade decor

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is actually the kind of information I have been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. large copper planter

    ReplyDelete
  6. The topic of your discussion which is about live your life imagined is very impressive and informative. All the blogs are looking very well. Thanks for sharing this all. Keep sharing. Coming site piknu to know more about top hashtag on instagram.

    ReplyDelete