Thursday, October 7, 2010

Design Statement

By Russ Baker


Since early childhood, I have enjoyed creatively visualizing, designing, and constructing things from scratch. As a high school student, I quickly discovered that I had passion for analyzing and solving problems. The combination of my passions and abilities later became an internal struggle to decide between pursuing a career in architecture or one in engineering, as I have learned that I enjoy both equally.

Influenced by my proficiency in math and by my desire to learn how things work, I decided to change my major from Architectural Studies to Industrial Engineering. After successfully completing Eastern Illinois University’s (EIU) Engineering Transfer program in May of 2001, I again toggled majors several times between architecture and engineering. I earned an Associate Degree in Arts and Science at Illinois Central College (ICC) in December of 2005. Finally realizing that I really wanted to design buildings (the sum of many parts) instead of just individual “parts,” I decided to pursue my goal of becoming an architect. I then transferred into Southern Illinois University’s (SIU) Undergraduate Architecture Program in the fall of 2006 where I earned a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies in May 2010 with a minor in Plant and Soil Science concentrating on Landscape Design. Design Projects for my landscape design courses ranged from landscaping of a very large, new, local residence to re-designing a local golf course, to actually constructing patio areas here on SIU campus. These landscape design courses closely paralleled my architectural studies as my professors went out of their way to help me in any way they could. I was able to return the favors using my software knowledge to assist my professors with some of their digital issues.

Currently seeking a Master of Architecture degree at SIU, I have especially enjoyed my studies at SIU and am very happy with my decision to pursue architecture instead of a career in engineering. I’ve earned several credit hours at SIU through the Travel Abroad program visiting Europe for a month in the summer of 2007 and Egypt for a week in 2008, both with the Architecture Department of SIU. Furthermore, with the SIU School of Architecture, I have traveled to Montreal, Los Angeles, and several other U.S. states to see many prominent works of renowned architects, such as Frank Lloyd Wright’s Falling Water. These trips were an excellent opportunity to experience firsthand some of the many different cultures and architectural styles the world has to offer.

Professional design experience through the Intern Development Program, including attending seminars and product lectures, providing community service, and interning at a firm, is my next order of business as the end of the line of my academic career quickly approaches. I intend to always and continually better myself by securing a position in the architectural field to not only provide for a family, but also to utilize my engineering, architectural, and landscape design skills effectively benefit and aid my employer and clientele.

No comments:

Post a Comment