Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Late Night Giggles

By Rhonda C Daugherty


Nine o’clock at night and I am in studio doing work, “Uhmm…“, I started thinking to myself that I need to finish this work so I can work out in the morning after I go to class. Selecting elements while arranging them in the right places while paying close attention to detail then I glance at the clock. “Aw...man, it is eleven now... “, I run my hands through my hair with strength as I re-focus my eyes…. “Back to work” I tell myself. I work for another hour then my classmate tells me that everyone is heading out and I will be alone in studio if I stay. So I packed all my stuff and head home. The transition from one place to another sets me one hour back.

I unlock my door and walk in to my apartment that is dimly lit hearing giggles in the background. Walking toward the light and giggle I see my roommate talking to her boyfriend. I stop and yell “HI ROOMMATE” in a condescending tone and they pause and stare at me for two seconds looking startled. “Hello?”… They yell back and then continued enjoying each other’s company. I unpack my stuff and continue to work for another two hours until three o’clock in the morning.

Is this what graduate school is suppose to be like or am I doing something extremely wrong? I’m tired, lonely, stressed, and happy. The funny thing is the busier I am, the more overworked I feel, but it makes me feel alive and proud of myself. At the end of the day I enjoyed exploring the limits I can push myself, and I know now it will bring out the best in me. A wise man once said, “What doesn’t make you weak makes you stronger!”

No comments:

Post a Comment