Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Blind day for architecture

By Andrew Wyne



In posting blogs over the last few months for architecture I have talked about many subjects, but the one I’ve neglected as of yet is that of my thesis. I figured it was about time to discuss the main ideas of what I’m studying as well as talk about a few experiences. The main idea driving my thesis is; architecture is driven, design wise, by the visual aesthetics and as of late the other sense have been, unintentionally, down played or forgotten. I am promoting that the visual sense be unplugged in such a way that it is not the most dominant sense being used in experiencing a space.

There are a few different practical applications of this type of building concept; however the main would be a space for the blind. As part of my research I have been talking to various vision impaired organizations. But one of the most interesting things I have done as part of my research was to talk around blind for a day. Unfortunately for safety reasons I could not drive blind, and when it was all said and done I was only blind for six hours which is just short of the 8 hour work day. But in reasoning I accomplished all the major things that one would do in a normal day. I walked to class as well as used the restroom and other things.

I had a poll with me so to not run into major objects, however even with a poll there seems to be quite a few things that can slip past and hit your knee, head, or hands. After the event of being blind had taken place it was very informative and I learned a lot as to what to consider for my thesis building, however there were quite a few things that would have helped me in getting around campus. Hand rails, possibly one of the best inventions ever, helped me several times on stairs. I don’t know how many times it kept me from falling as well as guiding me up the stairs. One thing I would have wished for outside when walking outside on the sidewalks were a reference as to where I was. The sidewalks had no distinctive texture or feeling so I knew what building I was at or which sidewalk I was traveling to which building.

So there is a lot to think about in the coming months about how the best way to guide a visually impaired person around a building, whether that is through texture, smell, or sound. There are many options to be utilized in the creation of this building. If you have any suggestions as to what might be useful for my research in this matter feel free to email me at andr3w@siu.edu and I will be happy to look into those subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment