Saturday, February 18, 2012

Rotterdam Refinery

By Jason Skidmore

In my daily peruse through the blogosphere I come across many architectural designs, most of which just don't stand out very much. I skipped straight over this design of a multi-story office complex in Europort, The Netherlands. There is something that allures me about The Netherlands. I think I want to visit there at some point. That is beside the point. This is a perfect example of how just reading the headlines of a story about a design never gives you the full picture. From now on I may make it a point to visit architecture sites and not view them on Google Reader (which is my feed reader of choice). Just glancing over a design on Google just doesn't do it justice. Luckily I was on the hunt for something to blog about this week and came across this design that has some really neat design ideas within it. First off the building is inserted into man-made dunes on the site. It is located within the transitional zone between the industrial landscape of refineries and the wetlands of the Brielsemmer. One end of the building comes out of the landscape and the other end is clearly visible. To respond to solar challenges the facade gradually changes from transparent to opaque. The visuals of the design are incredible. I really like the interiors. The incorporation of different materials makes this place dynamic and fun without sacrificing the corporate feel. Conference room, think tank areas have flooring that looks very grass like. A look that in my opinion is very inviting and I would think that it would help a person cognitively. It brings the wetlands into the building. Lots of glass and interior courtyards allow for adequate natural day lighting of the entire office space. See for yourself, below are images and a link from Designboom.com.








http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/9/view/18826/group-a-bp-rotterdam-refinery.html

No comments:

Post a Comment