Tuesday, February 28, 2012

St. Louis Trip

By Micah Jacobson

My wife and I were able to visit St. Louis over the weekend. We visited the Science center and stopped by to look at the progress on the art museum addition. I wanted to do more research on museums, since that is what I am designing for my thesis. I was particularly interested in the structures exhibit in the St Louis Science Center. It is located on the bridge that links the Science Center to the planetarium.

There were many very cool, hands on activities about how structures work and particularly how the arch works as well as some really cool Lego Architecture displays. For anyone headed to DC soon, the National Building Museum is having a Lego Architecture exhibit that is really cool, I wish I could go.

I was able to get some good ideas as well as learn and have fun. The Science Center has a recent addition also, though it doesn’t stand out from the older building as much as the new addition to the art museum does. It was designed to look more or less like the original.

Visit: http://www.slsc.org/GeneralInfo/ExhibitionHallExpansion.aspx for construction pictures. Te artist rendering is a little deferent from the finished product (http://www.slsc.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=uMyMBp9B%2bBg%3d&tabid=452 ).

Overall it was a fun trip, except for leaving my memory card at home and having to use my iPhone for all pictures, good thing I recently upgraded from my old junky phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment