Thursday, December 10, 2015

Render vs. Rendering

By: Megan Crider

I don’t know how it happened…  I don’t know where it came from…  Somewhere along the way in architecture school, RENDER has become a noun for many students.  I can’t count how many times I have sat in presentations hearing the words “Here’s a render of my building/design” or something of that nature.  NOPE.  That is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
Render is a verb, not a noun.  Rendering is a noun, not a verb.  Someone can render an image, but the finished product of that process is a rendering.  
I applaud those instructors that correct students and point this difference out to them during presentations or critiques.  Thank you.  You have probably saved them from all kinds of embarrassment and correction when they assimilate into an office environment.  To those instructors that do not correct this grammatical infraction, shame on you.  I will however give you the benefit of the doubt – perhaps you are focusing more on the content and design of a presentation rather than the potential verbal struggles of the presenter.   I have no qualms with that…  However if we do not correct students when they make this error then they will continue to do so; the issue will not be fixed.

Perhaps the process of producing a rendering can be addressed differently earlier on in our education, during freshman or sophomore year.  Maybe formally addressing the difference at this level will assist in alleviating this issue later on in our education.  

No comments:

Post a Comment