Sunday, October 28, 2012

Buidling = Success



Just Because We Build It, Does Not Mean It Will Be Successful
By: Megan Gebke
An issue that I have been noticing lately is architects designing buildings or coming up with master plans that do not tie in the surrounding society or environment.  In their minds they just think that it is going to work because they designed it.  There have been many cases of buildings just being plugged into a plot of land without even thinking how it will affect its surroundings. How is a business supposed to be successful if we do not look how it connects with its neighborhood or placing it in the place it will be most beneficial?  With my thesis, I will be creating a master plan for Old North Saint Louis.  I will be figuring out the best locations for each type of buildings like businesses, residences, parks, churches, schools, and restaurants.  To accomplish this huge question, I will have to contact the neighborhood, speak to the residents, and look at what has been done before and ask what could change to better it.  Also, I have to look at the bigger picture with the district being just north of Saint Louis, what type of buildings will attract the city residents and will benefit both downtown Saint Louis and the actual Old North Saint Louis district. What will make this district so special?  Next semester, we get to choose any class to take as an elective.  Since my thesis will take a look at the business aspect of an architectural project, I have chosen to take a marketing class.  In that class I will be creating a marketing plan that deals with my site.  By taking this class, I have high hopes that with all of the research, I can choose businesses that will be successful and will best benefit the neighborhood.  Also, the class will teach me the steps on how to actually market those businesses and attract positive attention to the area.  Even though our thesis is an academic project, I would like to make this scenario as real as possible and learn about the business side that goes into funding and promoting a building.  In addition, I would be phasing the master plan into what section of the neighborhood would do that best right now to become profitable before moving onto the next phase.  By breaking it up in phases will make it easier to start with a small project and turn it into a big picture.  I need to ask myself what buildings will attract people into the district that will want to keep coming back.  I am excited to start this research and hopefully can turn this into a successful thesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment