Friday, October 5, 2012

Digression From Architecture: Life



Digression From Architecture: Life
By: Jonathan Smith
      This blog post will be a little unconventional, but bear with me momentarily. The past two weeks I have found out a multitude of things I find interesting and wish to share them. Some of them concern hobbies and others concern health. Not all are related or even have much of a purpose in architecture, but are interesting (to me) nonetheless.
       Stumbleupon: Have you ever heard of stumbleupon? If not you are missing out. I recommend visiting the website: www.stumbleupon.com and downloading it. This program is basically an add-on to your internet browser that lets you “stumble” through an endless list of interesting articles, games, music, and news. You can change which interests you are stumbling through at any given time. I’ve been a member of stumbleupon for five to six years now (I think) and have found it useful, not only as entertainment to kill time in those late nights in studio, but also to find interesting articles that you would otherwise not see. Anyways, lately I found out that stumbleupon is not as quite widespread as I had thought, so check it out! Below are a few of the most recent interesting finds I’ve uncovered lately:
        Health: On a second note, I had some annoying health issues to deal with over the past week, and thought I’d enlighten the reader on a few things I personally didn’t know could make you ill. Stomach pain, rib pain, excessive fever, hot and cold flashes, severe headaches, hemoturia, and achiness were all my symptoms. My diagnosis was: Upper respiratory infection, then gall bladder problems, then influenza, and then finally a rickettsial infection. After multiple visits to the clinic, and eventually a night in the ER, I found out I wasn’t superman. It turns out (or the story the Dr and I seem to be going with) is that I had a rickettsial infection. As you can guess, my diagnosis isn’t 100%, but the meds are working. This is basically an infection caused by a tick bite. The moral of this short story here is that if you are sick, go to the Dr and get answers. I delayed the inevitable in order to not miss class (how valiant of me right??), and it turns out I was in need of attention. Although architecture school should warrant 90% of your time, take the 10% for your health and not be as stubborn as me. That’s all about health.
       Movie: I’ve been rather obsessed with a film I seen a few months ago and have watched a few times sense. It’s a rather thought provoking movie about a cave man living forever. The whole movie basically takes place as one long intellectual conversation among prestigious college professors. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite movies, and anyone that enjoys films should see it. The acting is somewhat B-rated but the plot and overarching theme of the movie is priceless. More info about the movie can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/ (It’s called The Man From Earth – Watch it!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment