Monday, October 1, 2012

Queen of Structures



Queen of Structures
By: Megan Gebke
As an architecture student, you quickly realize that you don’t really have too much time for a social life.  Your social circle becomes your classmates.  Your classmates are the people you see more than your own family and after spending so many “all-nighters” together they know entirely too much about you.  Ever since I was younger, I have always been competitive by nature.  Well since our architecture class is mostly guys with a few girls, I think that almost made me even more competitive to show that I do belong here and I am good enough.  Being competitive with your classmates helps to push each other to be the best and achieve your own personal best.  When I started writing this post, I thought it would be about how I beat Andrew in structures III and became the Queen of Structures but I guess it has shifted to how important your classmates really are going through architecture school.  There are so many new softwares that are being invented and updated annually.  It is so hard to tackle learning a program alone, so that is where your friends come in.  Questions are constantly being asked and at least someone in studio will know the answer.  For design projects, it is nice to bounce ideas off of someone even if it doesn’t give you new ideas.  It allows for you to speak out loud about what you are thinking.  (Even if it is 4:00 AM and the other person gives you an idea and you interpret that idea totally wrong but it still made sense to you… that is how all-nighters work lol)  Undergrad structures classes were always enjoyable.  Everything made complete sense in class and then you get the homework problem and try to figure it out on your own and it was nothing like the sample in class lol.  As a team, we worked through the problems and taught ourselves what we thought was right.  Like every assignment, when we got our grades back we would show each other and always be happy to be a different person.  I know you are always told to keep your grade to yourself, but c’mon professors… we are human and of course we show each other our grades.  Last year’s structures class was particularly enjoyable for the simple fact a couple of us were almost tied in our grade for the better half of the semester.  So for our final exams we were all struggling on some super easy problems we learned in structures I.  After finding out our grades, I learned that I beat Andrew by less than a point for our final grade, which means like the title is called, I was the Queen of Structures! Haha  This must kill Andrew to post this on the blog, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment