Friday, November 6, 2015

Extracurricular Activity: Intramural Football


By Megan Crider

I have hardly ever been involved with extracurricular activities at the college level.  Typically I show up to my classes and leave when they are finished.  This has especially been the case since I transferred to SIU for my sophomore year in the Interior Design program.  I live in Marion, a town about 20-25 minutes east of Carbondale.  I commute to school; and from where I live the trip takes me a solid 30 minutes.  Needless to say, when my classes finish I want to head home and wind down from the day.
Extracurricular activities are a great way to connect with fellow students in the program and across campus.  I am all for them but the idea was never enticing enough for me when considering my travel times.  That is, until this semester…
            A handful of us in graduate studio and a few others have formed a co-rec IM flag football team… When asked to join I considered that this would be one of my last opportunities to do something like this…. Also, who says no to football? Certainly not me.  I am really glad that I decided to participate.  It has given me the chance to further socialize with other students in our studio class and is an easy way to fit in some fun physical activity (because let’s face it, squeezing that into our strenuous school schedule proves quite difficult…).  So far this experience has been a good one.  I am naturally a competitive person, so to my relief our team takes this seriously, enough so to have had practices several times before our games started and to make team shirts.  And we all think that it is pretty sweet to actually play some of our games on the field in Saluki Stadium - that feels super official!

            Now I feel like a stronger advocate for extracurricular activities on campus.  Like previously mentioned, they are a great way to further interact with classmates and other students and also provide a great opportunity to experience and utilize other parts of the campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment