Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Life As A Graduate Assistant

By Shane Healey



In the spring semester of 2010, I found out that I was accepted into SIUC’s and U of I’s architectural graduate program. In addition to SIUC’s acceptance, I received a graduate assistantship position in Quigley’s computer lab, working with Scott Frisch. With the graduate job, the high possibility of accreditation, and wanting to finish my architectural schooling at the school where it started, I decided to stay at SIUC to gain my Masters in Architecture in the summer of 2011.

I was selected to work in the computer lab because of my previous knowledge using plotters, both plotting and replacing paper, at Lewis and Clark Community College and AAIC Inc. In my G.A. job, I act as the buffer and helper between the students and their professors. Our main responsibilities are to plot the students work, keep the lab clean, organized, and running smooth, and report any problems with the equipment. In addition, we are to do the following: help the students with their plots, answer any general questions referring to a project or program, and give out any campus phone numbers or websites for further assistance, but overall, we are to help create a calm organized atmosphere if students become upset.

In the first month as a G.A., things have been a little slow, because of the lack of major due dates thus far; however, in the next few weeks, the closer to midterm we get, the busier we will become. Our main objectives this first month was to become familiar with various procedures that deal with, closing and opening of the lab, how to manage the plotters, how to plot files, how to charge students, and how to deal with basic problems. The more we know how to do these tasks, the better the lab will run.

There are various reasons that I tried so hard in school the past 4 years which include, producing good projects, gaining good grades, and receiving my Bachelors. By doing these thing, I have been awarded for my hard work with a G.A. position. I wanted this position for two main reasons. First, is to help pay for the next fifteen months of graduate school, in which this job pays for all tuition except the fees. The second reason is to be able to add “Graduate School Assistant” on my job application, because any padding in today’s economy can only help when gaining a position.

Picture: http://www.architecture.siuc.edu/Images/Quigl.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment