Tuesday, September 14, 2010

SIUC Interiors to Master’s of Architecture

By Jessica Grafton

For my first post I’m going to tell you about my transition from the SIUC undergrad Interior Design program, into the Master’s of Architecture program. Initially I had no intention of majoring in Architecture, but as an undergrad in Interior Design at SIUC, we are exposed to the first 2 years with architecture students. I think this is great, because it gives you a firm background in CAD, conceptual thought processes, architectural history, and a small portion of building technology. This preparation was very beneficial in the junior and senior years of the Interior Design program.

After Graduation, I was working under an Interior Designer in an internship, and had every intention of going on to work in a firm, sending out resumes wherever I could. Then of course a few months turned into a few more, and with all of my prospects falling by the wayside due to the economy, I decided to apply to the SIUC Master’s of Architecture program. SIU makes this transition very simple for their interior design graduates since we’ve already completed the freshman and sophomore years of Architecture.

With this background I’ll be able to complete the Master’s of Architecture degree in 27 months, using the first two semesters to get caught up on the structures and building tech courses, picking up where I left off my junior year of undergrad. Then I’ll be able to join in with the other 15 month track graduate students, who have their undergrad degrees in Architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment