Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Little Person in a Big World

By Rhonda C. Daugherty



I embarked on a trip this Labor Day weekend to Chicago. As I arrived and looked over the edge of my window, the tracks appealed to be woven together like rope, in no particular order. I stretched my arms up and yawned; then, I began to pack my things in my carry on bag, as we grew closer to Union Station. The whistling trains in the distance, screeching breaks, dim lighting, and dusty tunnels were crowded with people as they hustled to their destinations. I started to wonder… “Wow, I’m pretty short.” Everyone had a target and they were moving hastily to get to them. Back and forth from the entrances and exits, pushing and shoving.
How did the architect investigate circulation for both Union and Ogilvie Station? How does the architect attempt to understand the complex patterns of both travel and behavior? Is everything random or a logical guess? The three different scales I partake in were Carbondale to Chicago, Union Station to Ogilvie Station and Ogilvie to Bellwood. There are four types of rail ways in Chicago: Metra, Amtrak, CTA, and the freight trains. The function and priority must have influenced the design.

The experience became to be surreal, I boarded the train at 3:15 A.M. Sunday night, and I got off the train at 9:05 A.M. Sunday morning. Groggy and tried, I got off the train carrying my luggage and walking aimlessly to the waiting area to meet my ride as people walked swiftly around me. I had arrived at the station only to depart five minutes later…

No comments:

Post a Comment