Saturday, November 3, 2012

Light Architecture



Light Architecture
By: Chris Pacanowski
            As I continue on research for my thesis I had just finished my first book for my literature review, the book is called Light Architecture, new edge city, by Gianni Ranaulo. This book was quite interesting, it had talked about how architecture in the past has been a method of communication, and architecture had told stories. When looking back at history and at the cathedrals, everything about them was a story. Cathedrals had used the mosaics on the ceiling as a way to tell Jesus’ stories and communicate them in a way that was pictorial rather than through text. This idea isn’t always carried out in our modern architecture.
            The book continues to go on and show examples of modern day buildings that are trying to integrate technology in a way to be able to use the building as a communication devise for the public. One of the major examples that is seen by millions of people a day is time square New York, the technology that is being used there is incredible. Other projects utilize multiple different techniques to be able to either project images or videos up on a wall or glass, or just large panels of LCD TV’s. This technology can be used not only as an advertisement method for businesses, as well as extra income for the building itself, but it can be used to communicate community happenings or news.
            After reading this book it has made me realize that looking back at my design I hadn’t communicated anything to the public other than the fact that there is a new building. I believe that in my thesis design I will attempt to use some of these methods of “Light Architecture” in some of my buildings, mainly the community center. The idea of being able to make a building’s façade communicate to people and serve a greater purpose rather than just being there, is an incredible idea and should be integrated into every building in some way.    

No comments:

Post a Comment