Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The First 1/4



The First 1/4
By: Sam Harshman
         Well, this is my birthday month.  On November 12, I will have been alive for 24 years.  Since I will live to be at least 100 years, this next year will be the last year of the first quarter of my life.  I have accomplished many things in my first quarter of life, such as, played on the varsity baseball team, ran cross country, graduated high school, joined a volunteer fire department, graduated from a community college, got married, and even graduated with a bachelor's degree from a university, just to name a few.  In this next year, I want to accomplish many more things. 
         One of these things I have to accomplish is graduating.  Next August, I will graduate with a Master's of Architecture degree.  This is a huge thing in my life and also my family's life.  I will be the first in my family (on my side) (my wife graduated with her master's in social work last May) to receive a master's degree in anything.  This will be a big step in my wife's and my life.  We will have to go on with our lives wherever it takes us.  We will both have to go out in the real world and get new jobs, move to a real house, (not a trailer in which we live in now) and what my wife wants now, start our family. 
          Another thing I want to accomplish is to get in shape.  This is something I've told myself multiple times that I'm going to do, but never put into action.  I have started multiple times, however I have never done it long enough to show any results.  Junior year in high school was probably the best shape I have ever been.  Senior year I had to push myself to run a 5k for cross country.  This next year, I want to be able to go out and run a 5k without dying.
         Something I have always wanted to do was learn to play the guitar.  I bought an acoustic guitar about 4 years ago with intention of teaching myself to play.  I got super busy with life around this time with school, work, and at that time, girlfriend, so the guitar was put aside.  This year, I just want to learn one song.  I do not know what that song will be yet, but I think if I learn one song, many more will follow. 
         Procrastination is one of the worst traits I have as a human.  This is the last major thing I want to change this coming year.  If I continue to procrastinate, the first accomplishment that I talked about, will not happen in August.  This semester has shown me how bad procrastination is.  Some of the stuff I am working on now should have been done weeks ago, but it was not, so now I am playing catch up and it makes life harder on me. 
         I just want this year to be all positive.  I want to better myself as a person in many different ways.  This first 1/4 of my life has been wonderful so far and I want this year to top it off, especially since this will be my last year of school and I will be moving on to a different part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment