Thursday, March 24, 2016

Structure of a Yurt


By: Alicia Luthy
Hello all! Here we are with only 55 days and 20 hours left until graduation in May but who is counting? This week was spring break and I spent some of break doing some hiking and homework. On Tuesday I took a trip to Garden of the Gods and watched the sunset. Then on Wednesday I took a trip to my site for my thesis in Naperville. Visiting the site was very helpful and will allow me to make better design choices. While up north, I and a few other classmates took a trip to Starved Rock. It was very beautiful with multiple waterfalls and definitely a site to see. As the semester is now on the last half, I have started working on my structure project for Professor Davey. For this construction I chose to do a Yurt.
A Yurt is a round portable structure that originated in Central Asia. They have been a distinctive structure for nearly three thousand years.  These tent structures are round and popular for their portability. The yurt’s frame is known as a “living” structure.  Since the structure is round and has no flat surfaces wind does not push the structure, it instead just passes around it and over it. Yurt structures are believed to handle up to 95mph winds.  A Yurt structure is made up of wood or bamboo lattice, a door frame, rafters, and a wheel. The roof structure is typically self-supporting. Modern Yurts are still being built today. These structures are typically inexpensive, but the more permanent structures can become a little more costly. I plan to construct a Yurt for the class. Below there is a picture of the construction process and a finished Yurt house.





No comments:

Post a Comment