Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Mid Semester Wrap-Up

By Drew Baldwin



Spring break just ended. I didn’t go anywhere fun, but I did get to go home and relax. I worked for a few days once I got home, but soon realized I just needed to take a break from all the school work and actually have my spring break be a break. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we all need a break from time to time. But now, getting back into the swing of things is the main focus of the week with it being so nice as well the fact that we’re now halfway through the semester. It’s a little scary to think that is the case and there’s still so much to do on my thesis on top of all the other work I need to get done.
Luckily, I seem to be moving along pretty well with my concept for my thesis. After my last review, one of the main ideas that the reviewers made clear is that it hadn’t seemed like I had done much research or even overall design work. That was partially the case as there were certain buildings that needed more in depth research to really understand the overall condition of my site and without that, it was hindering my proceedings with my design. So after my review, the first thing I did for the next day and a half was only research. I wanted to make sure I had a full understanding of the history surrounding my site and the two large hotel buildings in it. After doing so, I then proceeded to begin reworking my whole design as my first attempt was a vague interpretation of the general idea I wanted to achieve and in the review that was made very clear.
At this point in the semester, I am currently working towards a final overall site design with the incorporation of urban gardens and green spaces as well as mixed use residential apartment buildings to accompany the new Red Wings Stadium in Detroit. I have addressed the given issues presented in my site with the two hotels as well as dealing with the massive stadium next door and instead of ignoring them, trying to incorporate them into my design to benefit the residents of the area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment