Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Cairo Design Build

By Brittney Moutnt

It’s that time of year again, presentation week is upon us and we have exactly thirty-seven hours before everything we have been working on for the semester is to be pinned up for all of Quigley to see. It never fails that during this week I question my life choice about wanting to be an architect. So I am going to use this blog to help me through it by talking about something that supports my decision.
During my junior year of undergrad we all had the opportunity to be a part of a Design Build program that would work with an actual client, Delta Center, to design a shotgun style home located in Cairo, Illinois. We had to apply for a spot to be on the team of twelve to work with three professors on a renovation plan of an existing home, or a completely new construction project. I opted to work on the new construction project.
To begin the process we took a site visit trip down to Cairo to take initial site measurement of the new construction lot and a full work up of the existing shotgun home.
As a part of the new home design we worked directly with the client as you would in an office environment with the biggest new factor being the budget of the project. We worked in pairs to come up with three floor plans that we eventually pitched to the Delta Center, who would then select one design for us to move forward with on creating a full construction document set. After we presented the clients were ecstatic, and only had positive things to say. I remember that moment vividly because all I could think about was that this is what it will be like in an office.

I am so glad I took advantage of the opportunity to be a part of the first Design Build project at SIUC. It was a great experience that gave me a glimpse into my future working in an office. We finished the first phase of the construction document set, which was then passed along to the following Design Build group. The renovation home was renovated the following summer by a second group of students. I’m very proud to say I was a part of that process!

No comments:

Post a Comment